Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Beware of Closing Your Eyes

I am sure that it seemed like a good idea to put the light switch on the outside of the bathroom. You know, splashing water and electricity could be dangerous. Well, being the youngest kid with a bunch of brothers and a sister know to tease, this was a dangerous set up that even the architect could not predict.

It must have been Saturday night, because at that age I was rarely found clean unless it was to get ready for next day Sunday church services. I was likely told to soak some of that grime off and wash my hair. Being the obedient boy I was, I dipped my head under to get my hair wet and then applied the shampoo du jour.

A scrub or two on each side of my head and a few bubbles later I was ready to rinse off and get out of there. Down under the water I went, careful not to get any soap in my eyes. We all know that soap in your eyes could cause blindness.

Upon emerging from the tub, I opened my eyes to behold - nothing blackness. I could perceive no light, that until recently, interacted just fine with my eyes. I sat in stony silence. I was blind. I must have got a little soap in my eyes. I felt terror run over me. Should I scream?

Then, I saw a little trace of light. My sight was returning. No, wait. It wasn't a return to sight. It was the crack under the door.

Somehow, in the brief second I was under the water, my sister had switched the light off on me. A common trick we all did on each other as we passed down the hall.

I had never felt so relieved in my life to have that trick played on me. I was not blind but could yet see.
BEWARE - next time you blink some crazy event could happen in that split second.

2 comments:

Calamity Jane said...

that is great! I did that to so many people at grandma's. Luckily she had a window that let in some light, but I do remember screaming "turn it on... anyone?"

Carrot Jello said...

Oh man, I live in grandmas house. Not only have I done this to my kids, they have done it to me. Of course, I kind of like it dark in there so I don't have to see the hideous blue paint.